German Christmas are known worldwide for their charming atmosphere and handmade gifts, ranging from toys and candles to lambskin shoes and tree decorations. The fairs are filled with aromas of traditional festive delicacies and sounds of carols setting the mood for Christmas celebrations. Travellers are invited to choose from the following destinations: Cologne, Dortmund, Dusseldorf, Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt and Munich.
- Berlin: Comfort Hotel Lichtenberg or Ivbergs Hotel Berlin Messe
- Cologne: Centro Hotel Conti or Holiday Inn Express - Muelheim
- Frankfurt: Metro Hotel Frankfurt City
- Munich: Moxy Munich Messe or Hotel Westend
- Dusseldorf: Hotel Batavia or Centro Hotel Schumann
- Hamburg: Apartment Hotel Hamburg Mitte or Centro Hotel North
Groupon’s Guide To German Christmas Markets
Indulging in a seasonal escape, visitors will get wrapped in the nationwide market tradition with candles, Christmas trees, and a friendly atmosphere.
Cologne offers festivities by its immense cathedral as well as at the large Rudolfplatz, while the 600-year-old Frankfurt market features live music and fanfares. In Berlin, travellers may take a city tour of up to 60 different fairs, while the Hamburg markets are filled with handcrafted decorations from the Erzgebirge region.
Düsseldorf offers visitors mulled wine and hot chocolate at Marktplatz and a 450-square-metre ice rink at Gustaf-Gründgens-Platz, while one of the world’s tallest Christmas trees may be admired at Dortmund’s Hansaplatz.
Tourists may savour baked goods in the 600-year-old Frankfurt market while spending delightful moments listening to live music and trumpet fanfare at the pleasant market of Römerberg.
In Berlin, travellers may choose from up to 60 different Christmas markets, the most famous being Charlottenburg Castle Christmas Market.
In Munich, the 20,000sqm Munich Christmas Market on Marienplatz boasts a Christmas tree with 3,000 lights, and stretches from Marienplatz to the old town hall tower, Altes Rathaus.
An array of Christmas markets can be explored in Hamburg, transforming the city into a beautiful spectacle every winter season. Thousands of lights reflect in the Alster and Elbe rivers, while the scent of roasted almonds and fir fills the air.
- €99-€149 for a stay in Frankfurt with flights, depending on dates and number of nights chosen
- €139-€159 for a stay in Berlin with flights, depending on dates and number of nights chosen
- €139-€199 for a stay in Cologne with flights, depending on dates and number of nights chosen
- €149-€179 for a stay in Dusseldorf with flights depending on dates and number of nights chosen
- €149-€179 for a stay in Hamburg with flights, depending on dates and number of nights chosen
- €149-€189 for a stay in Munich with flights, depending on dates and number of nights chosen